When making any big purchase, the wisest thing is to determine which factors will affect your total cost. For example, it’s vital to understand certain things that will determine the type of garage door required for your home when buying a garage door.
Let’s take a look at five things to consider before buying a garage door.
1. Garage Door Brands
Choosing the cheaper option isn’t always the best choice. It’s essential to understand the pros and cons of different garage door brands. Some of the best brands of garage doors include:
The Doorman Service Co., Inc. offers each of these brands for residential garage doors, so inquire about the different materials they come in and the type of warranties each brand provides.
2. Garage Door Material
The material that your garage door is made from comes with its pros and cons. The basic materials include:
- Wood. While probably the most visually appealing option, garage doors made from wood will require much maintenance even if they’re fabricated to be moisture-resistant.
- Steel. The most common type of material for garage doors is steel. For this reason, these doors are usually the least expensive option, and you’ll find more choices of color and style.
- Aluminum. Aluminum garage doors are ideal for homes located in regions with high humidity because they are resistant to corrosion and rust.
Other garage door materials to consider could be vinyl, fiberglass, and composite wood.
3. Garage Door Styles
Each garage door brand and material will offer various options for the style of the door. However, some of the most common styles to keep in mind are:
- Traditional styles. This look contains raised symmetrical rectangles that are what you expect from the traditional look of garage doors.
- Contemporary styles. These garage doors are made with a combination of metal and glass, providing a more modern look.
- Carriage house style. This rustic style looks much like a barn door by having doors that traditionally open from the center.
Looking at the different style options might not be enough to help you decide what will look best with your home. Instead, take advantage of garage door software, such as the Clopay Door Imagination System™, which allows you to upload a photo of your home and add any of their garage door styles to it.
4. The Purpose of Your Garage
What will you do with your garage space? If you plan to store your vehicles, you will want to think about the type of garage door opener you will need. The size, material, and style will affect the level of horsepower that will be required. There’s also a lot of new technology out there to make your garage more practical, like a smartphone kit or a wireless keypad.
If the plan is to use your garage as an extra room, then you may want to consider installing a door with windows and insulation.
5. Installing Your Own Garage Door Can Be Dangerous
Professional garage door installation has many more benefits than self-installation. One aspect of the job is winding up strong springs that require special tools, which can cause someone harm if it gets loose.
Leaving your garage door installation to the Doorman Service experts will begin with an in-person quote to make sure you get exactly what you want and need.