Garage doors have a big job on their hands. Not only do they provide storage and convenient access in and out of your home, but they are also responsible for your vehicle’s security.
A well-maintained garage door can last many years, but neglecting maintenance can result in costly repairs or even a complete replacement. So, why is it essential to perform regular maintenance, and what does a proper garage door maintenance plan look like?
Why is Regular Garage Door Maintenance Necessary?
Garage doors are exposed to the elements and are used almost every day, which can cause wear and tear over time. Failure to maintain them can lead to several issues, including:
- Safety risks: A garage door that is not maintained properly can become a safety hazard. Malfunctioning garage doors can cause serious injuries to people and damage to vehicles.
- Costly repairs: Neglecting small problems with your garage door can lead to costly repairs or complete replacements. Regular maintenance can help you identify and fix minor issues before they become major ones, saving you thousands of dollars in the long run.
- Decreased lifespan: Lack of maintenance can significantly reduce a garage door’s lifespan. A well-maintained garage door can last up to 20 years or more, while a neglected one may only last a few years.
How to Properly Maintain a Garage Door
Learning how to perform garage door maintenance properly may seem daunting at first, but you’ll be pleasantly surprised to know that most of the steps are simple and can be completed in a matter of minutes.
How often Should you perform garage door maintenance?
Clopay garage doors recommend a brief visual inspection once a month. A visual inspection will help you identify any minor problems that require immediate fixing. However, regardless of whether there are issues discovered, a detailed maintenance routine should be conducted every six months.
What is involved in garage door maintenance?
After you’ve visually inspected your garage door, openers, and rails, it’s time to perform maintenance. An effective maintenance routine includes the following steps.
- Lubrication: Garage doors have many moving parts, such as hinges and rollers, that require lubrication. Use a silicone-based lubricant to lubricate all moving parts to keep them operating smoothly.
- Tighten hardware: Over time, the hardware on a garage door can become loose due to vibrations from use. Tighten all bolts, nuts, and screws to prevent any further damage.
- Check the balance: An unbalanced garage door can cause damage to the door and the opener. Disconnect the opener and manually lift the door to check if it stays open. It’s best to call a professional to balance the door if it doesn’t.
- Test the safety features: Modern garage doors have several features, including sensors and auto-reverse mechanisms. Test these safety features regularly to ensure they are working correctly.
- Clean the tracks: Dirt, debris, and other particles can accumulate on the tracks, causing the door to become misaligned. Clean the tracks regularly to ensure the door moves smoothly and is aligned correctly.
- Keep the door dry: Exposure to moisture can cause rust and other damage to the door. Keep the door dry by wiping it down after rainfall and ensuring the garage is well-ventilated.
Professional Garage Door Service in Kent, WA
While most garage door maintenance can be completed quickly with basic hand tools, some issues are more complicated and require professional assistance. If your garage door is malfunctioning and requires urgent repair, the expert technicians at Doorman Service Co are here to help. Give us a call today at (253) 859-2318.